The February edition of The Voice is out! Highlights include:
- Profiles of Teacher Excellence: Kimberly Knudson and Manuel Rustin
- Creating an Organizing CUlture
- Read Across America
- School Counseling Week
United Teachers of Pasadena voted to enthusiastically recommend candidates for election to the Office of Pasadena Mayor, Pasadena City Council, and the Pasadena Unified School District Board of Education. UTP’s Political Action Committee (PAC) invited all of the candidates for an interview, and conducted the interviews at the UTP office. Based on those interviews, the PAC made a recommendation to UTP’s Representative Council, the policy-making body of the Association.
On January 14, 2015, the Representative Council approved the recommended candidates. “Recommendation” means that UTP is prepared to support the election of this candidate with the fiscal resources of the PAC treasury and the personnel resources of its 900 strong rank-and-file membership.
The candidate UTP recommends to the Office of Pasadena Mayor is Jacque Robinson, and to the Pasadena City Council is Calvin Wells, District 1. Both of these candidates value and support a vibrant public education system as the shared responsibility of our community. They also are willing to listen and to work with UTP to provide the best educational environment for the students of PUSD. UTP recommends to the Pasadena Unified School District Board of Education Roy Boulghourjian, District 2; Patrick Cahalan, District 4; and Lawrence Torres, District 6; because they are aware of the need for greater accessibility and transparency with the PUSD budget. They also are willing to listen and to work with UTP to provide the best conducive educational environment for the students of Pasadena Unified School District.
A Special Edition of The Voice Provides information on each candidate.
The theme of The December/January Edition is Transforming Our Profession. Highlights:
- Grant awardees from PEF and Fund For Teachers
- Meet Your TOSAs
- John Muir High School's Black Student Union plans a dialogue between students, community leaders and police officers
- Teacher Leaders recognized in other areas
- Tina Renzullo's project through CTA's Teacher Leadership Cohort on Common Core and the Early Elementary years
- Spotlight on the Elections Committee
- NEA's American Education Week